Time of Settlement
Grey River was first settled in the early 1800s by English 'youngsters' brought to Newfoundland via great merchant houses based at Ramea, Burgeo, and Gaultois. James Style(s) was the earliest known resident reported in 1835.
Name of Settlement
Originally, the settlement was named Little River. A severe measles outbreak occurred in the early 1900s. Settlers wired a doctor at St.John's to request advice and medical supplies. The dispatch was sent to Little River on the north-east coast instead of this settlement on the south-west coast. As a result, there were quite a few deaths and the name was changed to Grey River to prevent similar happenings.
Fishing has long remained the main industry in Grey River with the salmon fishery becoming an economic backbone for the community. Since the 1960s and 1970s, residents have increasingly returned to the salmon fishery for income. The scallop fishery also proposes a viable fishing alternative.
Fishermen's Wharf and Sheds
Another interesting place to see in our community is the fishermen’s wharf and the fishing sheds. The fishing sheds were built in 1974. The sheds were built so the fishermen could have a place to bait their gear. The fishermen also store their bait in the sheds. The sheds are not used as much now as they were in the past. Many people go out for a walk to the fishermen’s wharf. The path is very rocky and it smells out there sometimes.
Sawmill, Mine, and Bunkhouse
Our sawmill was built in 1955 by Tom Young who owned it back then, but now Garfield Young owns it. It became a gas pump in 1988 because the sawmill wasn’t in use at the time and they needed a place to store their gasoline and fuel. Fuel oil used to be storeed in the big blue drum outside. They used to sell the lumber they made in the sawmill to outside places.
They started the mine because they found lots of tungsten. They used to dump the leftover dirt about a hundred meters from the mine entrance by using a little cart run by a diesel motor. A couple people who used to work in the mine are Robert Lushman, Ronald Lushman, Henry Rose, Joshua Rose, and Victor Rose. The mine shut down because the price of tungsten dropped. The mine went in the cliff about a mile and a half.
The miners built the bunkhouse in 1962. Some miners stayed there while others stayed in their homes. An American Company named Carco owned the mine and the bunkhouse, but now Liberty Resources does. Inside the bunkhouse, there was just a straight hallway with sleeping quarters on each side. Today, teachers stay in the bunkhouse.